image1 image2 image3 image4 image5 image6 image7 image8 image9 image10

Finding Plymouth'sHistory

Ths section contains information and pictures of a Geocache project to find Plymouth Historical locations.· This was developed by Reba Juetten.

Please look at specific descriptions below to see if there has been a waymark or geocache placed for each specific site. The GPS coordinates listed next to the titles do not necesarily corespond to either of these markers but are as close as possible to the locations of the actual historical sites as were possible with the information provided. They are not guaranteed to be exact but are reasonable estimates. Geocaches or Waymarks will be placed in the general area of these sites in appropriate locations as time allows.

 

Early Schools

District 104 School (Oak Wood) ( approx. N45°01.151 W093°29.698 )
It was consolidated with Wayzata School district in 1956.· It was eventually torn down when County Road 24, Medina Road and Dunkirk Lane realigned for new intersection with Hwy 55.· A new Oakwood School was built at the corner of County Road 6 and Hwy 101 and opened in 1958.

 

District 47 School (Deziel School)   ( approx. N45°02.082 W093°29.815 )
It was consolidated with Wayzata School District in 1956.· It was converted to a house and rented out.· It was used for fire department practice and burned in 1973.

                                    

 

 

 

District 48 School (Parkers Lake School)  (approx. N44°59.704 W093°29.509)
It was consolidated with Wayzata District #49 in approximately 1920 and closed.

Link to Geocache for··"P" Marks the Spot: Parker's Lake School

 

District 95 School (Beacon Heights)    (approx. N44°59.651 W93°26.202)
District 95 was later called Beacon Heights because of an air line beacon (used for navigation before radar and direction finding radio) located on hill by Fire Station One. District 95 was consolidated with Wayzata in 1946.

 

District 123 School    ( approx. N45°03.503 W93°2 5.726 )
The school served their families living around Bass Lake. It was consolidated in 1956. Some of the children went to Maple Grove and Robbinsdale School Districts.

 

District 51 School       ( approx.  N45°01.776 W093°26.180 )


It was the first school in Plymouth. It was built as a shanty in 1856, then a log schoolhouse in 1859. It was turned into a house and then later it burned. Note the picture taken in 1960 by the City Assessing Dept. and on the one later the cupola is gone but you can see the outline of where it was on the front entrance roof.· District 51 consolidated with Robbinsdale School District in the mid 1950’s.

Link to Geocache for:  "P" Marks the Spot: District 51 School and Mt. Olivet Chapel

 


Old Town Hall       ( approx.   N45°01.327 W093°27.699 )

Town meetings were held in homes and schools until it was built in 1885. It was used until the early 1960's as the town hall. It was used as storage by public works until it was restored in the mid 1970's. It is now the home of the Plymouth Historical Society and Museum.

old town hall 642 by 480

                                                                           Old Town Hall Today

Link to Waymark for:    Plymouth Historical Society/Old Plymouth Town Hall

Link to Geocache for:   "P" Marks the Spot: Old Town Hall

 


 

 

  Mount Olivet Chapel       ( approx. N45°01.776 W093°26.180 )

Organized in 1854 as the German Evangelical Lutheran Church, the church first met in the Herman Sandhoff home. The church was built in 1880 on land donated by the Sandhoff family (now Mt. Olivet Chapel) and called the "Immanuel Evangelical Church of the Evangelical and Reformed Church of North America." Worship services were conducted in German until the early 1900’s. It was completely restored in 1998 as the Mt Olivet Chapel.

Christoph was the first person buried in the Mount Olivet Cemetery on April 2, 1871.  Other early members of Mount Olivet such as the Sandhoff, Schmidt, Roggerman, and Hoppenrath families are buried there.

 

 

Link to Waymark for:   Mount Olivet Chapel and Cemetery 

 

Saint Josephs Church     ( approx. N45°01.669 W093°26.709 )

 

The church was organized in 1856. A log church was built in 1858 and called St. Francis. The current structure was built in 1877 for $2,600 and was named St. Joseph's for the patron saint of the donor. St. Joe's Little Church,as it sometimes called, is the burial site of Anthony LeCounte. He is considered to be the earliest settler to build a log cabin in Plymouth, which was located on the east side of Medicine Lake.

 

Link to Waymark for:    Saint Joseph Church - Plymouth, MN

Link to Geocache for:     "P" Marks the Spot: Saint Joseph's Church

 

Messiah Methodist Church       ( approx. N44°59.869 W93°28.293 )

It was established in 1868 to be called Plymouth Methodist church. The first church built was destroyed by fire 1871. Services were held in private homes and Grange Hall from 1877 until 1889 when a new church was build. Earle Brown donated an acre of land to build the parsonage in 1920 and sold the land to the west to build the workhouse. The church burned again while an addition was being built for a school in 1947 but was rebuild. The congregation out grew the church and a new Messiah Methodist Church was rebuilt at a different location (Hwy 101 & Cty Rd 6) in 1965.

 

St. Mary's of the Lake Church     ( approx. N44°59.116 W93°25.206 )

Church Dedicated September 8, 1935

 

 


Mission Farms      (approx. N45°01.113 W093°25.249)

Mission Farms was founded in 1926 by William E. Paul. The land was rented for one year; then its 135 acres were purchased on February 1928 for $22,675. After other purchases the land totaled 415 acres including 4 farms. It was owned and operated by Union City missions, and there were 370 beds at the Mission Farms and 220 at the St. James hotel. Up to 1,000 men worked/lived at the Mission Farms during the depression. In 1948 Pioneer House started as the first residential treatment center fore alcoholics in the area. After William died in a car crash in 1955, his son took over as superintendent. He estimated that a "million" people attended church conferences and Bible camp at Mission Farms between 1936 and 1960.

 

 

 

Link to Geocache for:    "P" Marks the Spot: Mission Farms

 


 

Medicine Inn Resort/Store    ( approx. N45°00.975 W093°25.153 )

Medicine Inn was built in the 1880's and later became known as Engmans as it was owned by the Engman family.  It was a resort, store, picnic grounds and rented boats. It was torn down in 1967-68 to build the Medicine Lake Apartments.

 

Flying Tiger/Kings Inn   ( approx. N44°59.601 W93°25.017 )

Over the course of its life it was a blacksmith shop, jail, train station, Jail House Inn, Royal King Inn, Legion Club, and finally Flying Tiger bar.

 

Charlie's Store     ( approx. N45°00.027 W093°25.711 )

The store had many owners over the years with the last being Charlie Lentz, hence the name Charlie's. It was popular with families that went to the swimming beach.

 

                                                            Now site of West Medicine Lake Park

 

Link to Waymark for:    to be provided

 

Schiebe's Corner     ( approx. N44°59.090 W93°25.275)

A hotel of some sorts was build by Nicholas Bofferding in 1863 and purchased by Carl Schiebe in 1872. It was greatly expanded with barns, tavern, icehouse and dance hall. It became known as "Schiebe's Corner," "Farmers Home Hotel" or the "Half Way House". It was a halfway stop for farmers on their way to Minneapolis and was very successful until the business declined in the 1920's and 30's due to the automobile It was torn down in 1977. (Pictures are from oldest to newest)


Village of Medicine Lake   ( approx. N44°59.539 W93°25.052 )

It was developed as "Medicine Lake Park" by Jacob Barge around 1887. He sold lots to "city folks" to build cabins to get away from the "hustle and bustle" of city life. It became a separate village in 1944 and now the City of Medicine Lake. It is co0mpletely surrounded by the City of Plymouth.

 

 


 

Gilfillan House   ( approx. N44°59.788 W093°28.647 )

John B. Gilfillan was born in Vermont in 1835 and was admitted to the Minnesota Bar in 1860. He was named U of M Regent by Governor Pillsbury in 1880. He served in the 49th congress (1885-1886) and in the Minnesota State senate for ten years prior. He purchased 530 acres of land in Plymouth between 1891 and 1893 and acquired more in 1913. His farm called "Ben Avon" was sold to Earle Brown in early 1920's and was then sold to the city of Minneapolis for a new Workhouse in 1923 for $250 per acre. The Gilfillan house was torn down and replace with a new house for the superintendent of the workhouse in 1933. This was later torn down when the land was made into a park and replaced with a pavilion. (Pictures of the workhouse follow the one of the superintendent's house.)

 

 

 

Log Cabin   ( now located approx. N44°59.713 W093°28.574 )

The Old Log Cabin was located on County Road 6 just north of the Women's Detention Center. J. B. Gilfillan built it about 1900 for his three children as a play log cabin. It was also used as a hunting shack; as the family called the woods around it Deer Park. The current log cabin is a re-creation of the old log cabin.  It was donated to the people of Plymouth by Carol Creelman, who had played in it as a small child.

 

 

Link to Geocache for:   "P" Marks the Spot: Parker's Lake