image1 image2 image3 image4 image5 image6 image7 image8 image9 image10

Finding Plymouth'sHistory - Parkers Lake Area

 

Gilfillan House   ( approx. N44°59.788 W093°28.647 )

John B. Gilfillan was born in Vermont in 1835 and was admitted to the Minnesota Bar in 1860. He was named U of M Regent by Governor Pillsbury in 1880. He served in the 49th congress (1885-1886) and in the Minnesota State senate for ten years prior. He purchased 530 acres of land in Plymouth between 1891 and 1893 and acquired more in 1913. His farm called "Ben Avon" was sold to Earle Brown in early 1920's and was then sold to the city of Minneapolis for a new Workhouse in 1923 for $250 per acre. The Gilfillan house was torn down and replace with a new house for the superintendent of the workhouse in 1933. This was later torn down when the land was made into a park and replaced with a pavilion. (Pictures of the workhouse follow the one of the superintendent's house.)

 

 

 

Log Cabin   ( now located approx. N44°59.713 W093°28.574 )

The Old Log Cabin was located on County Road 6 just north of the Women's Detention Center. J. B. Gilfillan built it about 1900 for his three children as a play log cabin. It was also used as a hunting shack; as the family called the woods around it Deer Park. The current log cabin is a re-creation of the old log cabin.  It was donated to the people of Plymouth by Carol Creelman, who had played in it as a small child.

 

 

Link to Geocache for:   "P" Marks the Spot: Parker's Lake