image1 image2 image3 image4 image5 image6 image7 image8 image9 image10

Finding Plymouth'sHistory - Churches

 

 

  Mount Olivet Chapel       ( approx. N45°01.776 W093°26.180 )

Organized in 1854 as the German Evangelical Lutheran Church, the church first met in the Herman Sandhoff home. The church was built in 1880 on land donated by the Sandhoff family (now Mt. Olivet Chapel) and called the "Immanuel Evangelical Church of the Evangelical and Reformed Church of North America." Worship services were conducted in German until the early 1900’s. It was completely restored in 1998 as the Mt Olivet Chapel.

Christoph was the first person buried in the Mount Olivet Cemetery on April 2, 1871.  Other early members of Mount Olivet such as the Sandhoff, Schmidt, Roggerman, and Hoppenrath families are buried there.

 

 

Link to Waymark for:   Mount Olivet Chapel and Cemetery 

 

Saint Josephs Church     ( approx. N45°01.669 W093°26.709 )

 

The church was organized in 1856. A log church was built in 1858 and called St. Francis. The current structure was built in 1877 for $2,600 and was named St. Joseph's for the patron saint of the donor. St. Joe's Little Church,as it sometimes called, is the burial site of Anthony LeCounte. He is considered to be the earliest settler to build a log cabin in Plymouth, which was located on the east side of Medicine Lake.

 

Link to Waymark for:    Saint Joseph Church - Plymouth, MN

Link to Geocache for:     "P" Marks the Spot: Saint Joseph's Church

 

Messiah Methodist Church       ( approx. N44°59.869 W93°28.293 )

It was established in 1868 to be called Plymouth Methodist church. The first church built was destroyed by fire 1871. Services were held in private homes and Grange Hall from 1877 until 1889 when a new church was build. Earle Brown donated an acre of land to build the parsonage in 1920 and sold the land to the west to build the workhouse. The church burned again while an addition was being built for a school in 1947 but was rebuild. The congregation out grew the church and a new Messiah Methodist Church was rebuilt at a different location (Hwy 101 & Cty Rd 6) in 1965.

 

St. Mary's of the Lake Church     ( approx. N44°59.116 W93°25.206 )

Church Dedicated September 8, 1935